Just Waking

I'm just waking up to the world around me. Has it really been this long? Where am I going and what am I doing? Just walking along I guess. Help me. This is a collaborative blog. Contributors' main blogs are linked below.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Shaving . . . and a phone call

Gregor methodically, instinctively, begins shaving. Though he has more wrinkles than a forty-some-odd man should have, the blade smoothly glides over his stubble. Every three or four seconds, he places the blade in a stream of warm, running water, and his stubble slowly disappears.

After erasing the previous day's stubble, Gregor takes stock of himself in the mirror. As he slowly inhales and exhales, he begins to wonder if he still likes himself.

Inside his mind, he hears the scream again.

"Help me."

It haunts his mind.

"Help me."

Why the fuck could he not have arrived in time?

"Help me."

As he washes the last of the shaving cream off of his face, the phone rings.

"Hello," Gregor says.

"Sorry about the girl," an aged, raspy voice consoles Gregor. "It couldn't have been helped."

Gregor knew this was a lie, but he also knew that he could not tell his superiors that he knew the truth. They could have saved the innocent – but it would have cost too much. The mission was all that mattered to his superiors, and all that normally mattered to him as well

Groping for his watch, Gregor asks, "So what's the plan now?"

Gregor was used to action – drop him in some random country with a picture and some intel, and he could quietly make problems go away. That's what he was good at. But to be in the US, trying to infiltrate a global leader in energy exploration, he was out of his natural element. Perhaps his aging body had something to do with the assignment – his boss was beginning to be more protective of his advancing age.

The elderly gentleman droned on, and Gregor took notes in his aching head, looking at his watch to determine how much time he had.

After hanging up the phone, he muttered, "Embassy Suites". That is where he would reestablish contact. At the Embassy Suites, 11:30 am.

6 Comments:

Blogger MZPEACH said...

I like it. I am guessing a suspense novel? Don't tell me. From what I read, I can follow this story. It sounds like it will be very interesting.

12:20 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger KyuBall said...

Well...I should have read this first, then went back to your blog, Leesa.

I still think you can link the two together. Maybe I'll give that a try and email it Prata to post. What do you think?

1:52 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Jody said...

god girl you can write

3:52 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Boris Yeltsin said...

If this is the blog where everyone contributes a small peice of the story, I think this particular story - in my opinion - has to be finished by the original author, but then again, what do I know? Well, I know it's damned good writing, and I'm anxious to find out what awaits Gregor at the Embassy Suites. For God's sake, don't make him an Amway salesman, or I'm cancelling my subscription. Seriously, this is really good writing!! Keep it up!

4:11 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Boris Yeltsin said...

BTW Georgia Peach: nice rack!

4:11 PM, January 09, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

Leesa- I just love your writing style! You got major talent there sweetie.

Boris---isn't that a nice set????

3:48 PM, January 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home