Just Waking

I'm just waking up to the world around me. Has it really been this long? Where am I going and what am I doing? Just walking along I guess. Help me. This is a collaborative blog. Contributors' main blogs are linked below.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Time to go

“What does an out-to-pasture spy wear to a hotel and not be noticed?” Gregor asked himself as he lookes through the closet of his low-rent studio apartment.

He didn’t have much of a choice. He had exactly two blazers and an Aloha shirt hanging feebly by wire-hangers stolen from some “rooms by the hour” motel nine years ago.

The other jacket lay crumpled and stained on the floor with the rest of his clothes from last night. Gregor glances their way again.

“Help me…please.” The whispering scream rattles though him again, as he looks away from the pile.

Shaking his head, as if he can dislodge the memory, he begins to dress and prepare for the meeting scheduled by his director. A “Handler” is the old term for the head guy who would use him like a disposable razor…they didn’t like that term anymore. It brought up too many old memories of the “good old days”, when a spy was a spy, not some glorified hack of a business lawyer.

The chest of drawers, with its stained mirror, held most of the tools he would use today. Faded blue jeans, pocket knife, PDA, and clean socks.

“Just a meet’n greet. No need for the heavy artillery.” Gregor sarcastically chuckles to himself as he passes over his drawer of weapons. Mostly, these are the silent types: garrote wire, knives that look more like ice picks, and four small caliber handguns with silencers.

Grabbing his wallet and shades to block the eye stabbing pain that the sun will bring, once again, a puzzled look creases his forehead.

“Fucking keys.”

He begins to scan the apartment, muttering to himself and glancing at his watch.

“Dumbass.” He looks under the pillow. Nothing.

“First thing to go, you know.” He looks by the sink. Not there.

“Then it’s the eyes.” Opens the door and checks the keyhole.

Gregor’s one vice, outside of scotch, was that he talked to himself. Mostly because he needed to vocalize his thoughts, but also because he didn’t have anyone else worth talking to.

Looking at the ceiling, as if the answer is written in the watermarks, he remembers.

“Fuck.” He turns to his crumpled mess of clothes.

Slowly walking towards them, like child walking to a dentist’s chair, he says, “Gregor, a man of many seasoned years.” Step.

“Killed more men than heart disease.” Step.

“Survived not one, but two failed parachutes behind enemy lines.” Step.

“And he’s afraid of a suit.” Stopping, he stares at the clothes for a moment. Not fully understanding why, as sweat begins to roll down his brow.

“Shit.”

He reaches down for his slacks from the previous night. As he lifts them, he hears the familiar jingle of keys and allows himself to smile. Gregor quickly reaches into the pocket and grabs a handful of metal.

As he opens his hand and looks, he sees the lost keys and something else. A coin for the train.

“Help me.”

Gregor holds the coin out in front of him as if to chastise it. Anger and shame rising within him like a rushing tide. He throws the coin as hard as he can across the room, chipping the mirror. Before the coin bounces a fourth time, Gregor is already through the door.

Besides the sound of the coin slowly finishing it’s spin, the only other sound left in the ratty studio apartment are Gregor’s footsteps as the descends the buildings’ stairs.

14 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

Wow, KyuBall, nice continuation of the story.

6:10 AM, January 10, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

Nice! This will turn out nicely. *nods sagely*

7:07 AM, January 10, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Hi prata-

I met (pounced on? LOL) leesa over at Lisa's blog. I really like this! I write, or try to. Could I be invited in? If you'd like to see what I can do, this is something I wrote for a workshop last summer:

http://home.comcast.net/~gfatoots/fiction.htm#moon

4:19 PM, January 10, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Oh, and yes this installment was brilliant. I loved this line:

"Looking at the ceiling, as if the answer is written in the watermarks, he remembers."

4:22 PM, January 10, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

@giovanna

Done!

9:00 PM, January 10, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

:)

So what do we do now? Am I next?

*off to plug this at my blog*

5:29 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

prata: you are the leader of this motley group! I have been pestering ~deb, but she may not be ready (getting over an illness).

6:32 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

all: I just heard from ~deb as she will be out of pocket for the next few days. I have asked Giovanna if she would write the next installment.

8:47 AM, January 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Leesa
Yeah I figured she was ill as I'd dropped her an e-mail. I pestered giovanna to write next as well in MSN. Probably we did it at the same time. Soooo...there's that!

Umm..okay to show a more leadership like front, Leesa! Thank you for bein' the advertisement queen. (Does that sound bad???)

Now that my week of work has mellowed out. Questions? Concerns? I'm all ears and game and yeah that stuff.

Prata, fixing a machine that likes saving passwords and I'm lazy.

8:52 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger KyuBall said...

Thanks everyone. (I'm still going to work in Leesa's story, but I think it'll work better deeper in the story.)

The only thing I need is poked with a stick when it's my turn again.

I think we're off to a great start.

9:25 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

prata: thanks. I have tried to spread the word. Lisa's site gets way more hits than mine - and that's how we got giovanna. From the pieces I have read, she writes well.

I will need a little poking when it is my turn as well.

10:45 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

@Kyuball

Yes..I tend to agree. It's workin' out very well.

Thanks to everyone participating! ^_^

10:45 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

Kybull---very well written. You all should write separate novels for yourselves and make millions with your books. I'll be the first to buy them up! Seriously. No shit---you guys rock!

3:50 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

Digging it Kyuball.

1:50 PM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home