Just Waking

I'm just waking up to the world around me. Has it really been this long? Where am I going and what am I doing? Just walking along I guess. Help me. This is a collaborative blog. Contributors' main blogs are linked below.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Contact

The Embassy Suites hotel was a good twenty blocks away, but Gregor walked. Despite the bright sun that laughed its way through his Ray Bans, he needed the time and the motion to bring himself fully to life. Some things still needed processing.

Sully's coffee shop was on the way, and even though it was probably the last thing he should add to the churn of bile and blood that he was sharing with the sink most mornings, caffeine was definitely in order. The waitress at the register—"Anna" her tag read, wore a pale smock too big for her small frame and she kept adjusting it up, afraid she was exposing herself. He was trained to notice things like that. She had violet eyes that at the moment bored into Gregor more than the sun outside.

"Help me."

Gregor never spoke to anyone. It was rule—hell it was self preservation. Talk as little as possible; never look them in the eye if you could help it, and keep moving. But everyone has a moment; a moment they lose themselves in. On a day much like this; it was warm and bright, and there was no blight on his soul. He came to hear her voice so soft and sweet. She was singing quietly to herself as he walked up the steps to the front door of the building. Something about the melody made him stop mid-step:

A promise made will never fade
Fly me away on the nightingale's wings
And my love will always return

Without even a thought he had asked her, "Where do you know that song?"

"Help me!"

It was like a slap. The haunting refrain was not content to remain buried under his covers and piles of clothes. It had become a collective consciousness, personified and sitting on his shoulder like some antithetical Jiminy Cricket doppelganger. Just stop it! God dammit go away!

"Sir?"

Did he say that out loud? She was looking at him expectantly.

"The coffee? It's a buck twenty-five," she said. She probably had ten hours more to go in her shift and a toddler back at an apartment even crappier than his. Gregor pointed to the plastic display case on the counter next to them.

"Are those donuts fresh Anna?" He asked her. That's right, talk to her Gregor.

"Sure," she said, "We get 'em from the pastry place on Fourth."

"I'll take a glazed."

His wallet held a Benjamin and four singles. He took his coffee and donut, handed Anna the hundred-dollar bill and walked out without a word.

******

The lobby of the Embassy Suites was as generic as any other large chain hotel located in every city across America. Large, fronded plants in fake-cemented urns ornamented pillars, and everyone, whether they were coming or going, sitting or standing in line, looked like they were anticipating being somewhere else. Except the man Gregor noted sitting on a settee across the room. He wore a blue suit and was reading a newspaper. Well, pretending to read most likely. While the fabric bench was a quiet retreat from the people checking in an out for the day, it afforded a view of the whole lobby. His eyes peered above the tabloid's edge and met Gregor's.

It's show time, he thought.

Gregor sat down next to the man, placed his cup of coffee on the ground between his feet, and pulled the glazed donut out of the bag. Staring straight ahead, he took a large bite and moaned with pleasure, exaggerating each chewing motion with his mouth and cheeks. The suited man looked at him from behind the newspaper.

"You look like hell."

"Nice, very nice," Gregor said and took a sip of his coffee. He spoke softly and to no one in particular. "I even shaved for you, and that's how you greet me Peter? It's been so long."

Peter gave his paper and shake, and turned the page. "Don't be a snot. What the fuck happened last night?"

"Last night was a huge fucking mistake that's what," Gregor said with much more fervor than he should have, and instantly regretted it. He knew Peter Havershaw from way back, but it was impossible to know who you could trust anymore. The last thing Gregor needed was Peter going back and telling everyone he was losing it.

"It must have been huge for them to have called me out of Vancouver to deal with your sorry ass." Peter looked at him, newspaper still concealing his gaze. "Gregor listen to me. I don’t need to emphasize to you the importance of this mission. Are you with us or no? Because there will be no more 'huge fucking mistakes.'"

Gregor shoved the rest of the donut in his mouth defiantly, picked up the coffee once more and took a sip to wash it down.

"Tell me what to do next."

21 Comments:

Blogger Prata said...

Excellent work.

5:23 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

Oh sorry...guess I should have also put up here...who's next in line? Deb? Hrmmm, volunteers? I'm easy!

I saw an asian chick with that on her shirt...it was so hot!

Giovanna again, brilliant work. Can't wait to see more of it.

5:30 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

Prata: I would suggest Joe. ~Deb said that she is really behind on a lot this week. I have not read it yet, but I did want to respond before reading.

I mentiond this site today - cute mentioning of it, I thought.

6:23 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

Giovanna: Very nice work. I really enjoyed the piece.

7:52 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

Joe it is! *pesters him*

7:54 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger KyuBall said...

I don't know if it's just me being caught up in the excitement of this project...but, man this is good. This is really flowing well.

Great addtion Gio!

9:36 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Thankies. :) I am so stoked. I haven't written anything in ages, but I think I just needed the impetus.

You guys can save yourselves a few keystrokes and just use "g" or toots, another nickname. (That's "oo" as in "shoe" not "Hey toots, c'mere." And no, it's not because I fart. :p)

Prata have you thought of adding a site meter to track visits?

9:38 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm on it, but I have a few things to get done so it's going to take me a day or two.

9:54 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

@Joe
No problem! We're just buggin' the shit out of you man don't sweat it!

@Giovanna
Dig it...umm...I thought about it, and I suppose I could load one up in the template. I just typically don't do that sort of thing. Give me like 10 minutes or so and I'll have one up.

Save keystrokes? @128wpm in a rush...I have keystrokes to spare..anyone? Anyone? lol They're free!

10:08 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

prata: I already did the sitemeter thing.

joe: it's okay if it takes a day or two. By the way, I loved your post today.

10:18 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

@Leesa
Thanks!

@Joe
You do realize that as a result of posting here you will be catapulted into the upper echelons of blogging society. We explained that to each of you correct? No pressure......

11:47 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

I do realize that Prata, and i have no doubt that i'll quickly be cast back down to the huddled masses shortly after you guys read the drek i'm sure to post.

But it's all worth it in order to try to put a smile on Leesa's face...

1:40 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

I wish I had time to read all this..I about to leave work. But so far..it sounds wonderful Giovanna.

2:10 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

I was thinking that you all should have a site meter...So you can monitor my frequent visits..lol.

2:11 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Deb said...

You're a friggin wordmaster Gio! This is really flowing guys. I really liked this post too, and the words and description of everything----excellent!

You guys have major talent! Gio---absolutely brilliant!

I can't compete with this---are you kidding? I'm going to spectate if you don't mind.

This is too good.

3:19 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger Jody said...

please remove me from project I dont have much time and my writing isn't nearly as good as it should be for this. Yall are doing a wonderfull job. Thanks

8:00 AM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

~deb and j, I have removed you as you have requested.

Okay, I know I was feeling a little pressure after reading other authors' work. Looks like this has claimed ~deb (who is a published author.

joe, I am sure you will not disappoint.

12:05 PM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger KyuBall said...

Wow. No pressure, huh.

I don't know if I agree with Deb and J. I've read both of your blogs and you both are great writers. To say that you're not ready or can't compete doesn't do your work justice.

Besides, this isn't a competition. This is an experiment, of sorts, in creative writing. A place where we can hone our talents by throwing something out there for others to critique and learn new techniques.

I think I can speak for the rest of us, you both are welcome back anytime and I look forward to that day.

5:27 PM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

Certainly. It's not a competition in the slightest. There's no pressure. Just look at the contrasting smiles..and remember you are your own worst critic. No one will ever be as hard on your work as you are. That's the name of the game here.

Later Days

11:11 PM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

~deb and j, I removed you because you asked. But I agree with kyuball and prata - you are welcome back anytime.

7:37 AM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

Leesa,

You mistakenly added "not" when you said "Joe, I'm sure you will disappoint."

Anyway, I think I lived up to the disappointment thing.

Joe

1:53 PM, January 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home