Just Waking

I'm just waking up to the world around me. Has it really been this long? Where am I going and what am I doing? Just walking along I guess. Help me. This is a collaborative blog. Contributors' main blogs are linked below.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Damage Done

He continued to sip his coffee as he listened to the instructions but he no longer tasted it. It was just a reflex action, nothing more. While it may not have appeared so to the casual observer, his concentration was focused solely on the man next to him. He listened intently as the litany of instructions Peter gave him and silently filed them away for future reference.

As Peter spoke, it dawned on Gregor that the previous night's escapades had done more damage to his reputation than he'd anticipated. Not only was he being reminded of things that a rookie would know in his sleep, but it appeared that Peter would be supervising him - at least for the time being.

Normally, he was in complete control of his emotions but after last night's events his nerves were frayed. It was all he could do to choke back his anger and remain seated. He noticed his leg shaking and fought to keep it still. He picked a point on the opposite wall and focused on it, taking slow, deep breaths. Slowly he felt his anger subside. He tuned back in to Peter's words as he wrapped up.

"I hope you understand that there will be no more fuck-ups...or there will be no more Gregor. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal." replied Gregor with a smile that resembled a lion bearing his teeth. He leaned slightly to his left and muttered "And I hope you understand that if you ever threaten me like that again, I'll rip your balls off and feed them to you."

With that, Peter waved to a woman strolling through the lobby as if she was the one he'd been waiting for and feel into step with her as they left the lobby.

By the time she reached the curb, he'd alredy melted into the crowd of pedestrians on the busy sidewalk.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He was relieved to see that even in his diminished state the previous evening, he'd remembered to turn the power off. Forgetting to do so was a mistake many made, and they paid for it when there location was traced by the periodic beeps the phone sent out to inform the service of its location.

When the phone powered on, he was surprised to see that he had a message. As far as he knew, nobody had his number.

He dialed his voice mail. As the phone rang, he caught sight of himself in a store window.

"You look like shit" he said to his reflection.

He punched in the password and listened to the automated voice.

"You have one unheard message."

"I know. That's why I'm calling." Gregor mumbled into the phone.

He played the message.

"Gregor. We have something that I think you want."

The ensuing silence was broken by the sound of a slap. He heard someone whimper, then in a tiny voice spoke the words that made his blood run cold..

"Help me."

9 Comments:

Blogger KyuBall said...

Awesome addition, Joe!

"I know. That's why I'm calling." Great stuff.

2:52 PM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

I liked it Joe. Interesting.

3:07 PM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

Excellent work man. Most excellent. And you thought you'd do poorly. It's very good!

Ddot? You up next? ^_^

Heeeeee

5:05 PM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger Gina said...

Ooo, I think my blood just ran cold too.

I have to ask, is anyone else stalling so they don't have to start getting technical with plot? LOL!

5:25 PM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger Prata said...

Not yet! lol

Although, I believei people are laying good ground work. It's actually going to develop nicely because everyone is adding what they think part of the plot should involve. Right now it's just begging for a flash back or a conversation about "last night".

This phone call is a good lead into that. *nods sagely*

9:19 PM, January 17, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

Oh, absolutely, Giovanna. I'll tell eveyrone else that I was just laying the groundwork but the truth is that I have no idea where to go with this and I'm hoping I can just follow everyone else's brilliant leads.

7:05 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

joe: love the addition. I am just amazed that so many people are contributing to this story and that it flows.

Mt favorite line is "'You look like shit' he said to his reflection."

11:50 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger MOAB said...

Ooooooo---I like it....it's really coming together nicely (nods in Leesa's direction with orgy refrence) (why does your blog always turn my mind that way?)

7:27 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Leesa said...

monica: oh, my. I sometimes wonder that myself.

7:21 AM, January 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home